Straight from the Artist’s Mouth

When researching for my essay, I found it really interesting and informative to watch and read a variety of interviews conducted with the artists I was writing about.

• Marina Abramović

The following extract is transcribed from Carrie Scott’s above In Your Face interview with Abramović:

MA: As soon as I’m performing, I think that I um, I, I’m not playing somebody else, I’m just me.

CS: So do you think then, that there is a line between you and the work?

MA: I don’t think so, it’s a really blurred, maybe the beginning of my career there is a line but  then it’s blurred completely, because first of all I always work from the, my experience and then this experience, it’s about me experience them, and then I try to translate, that um, ideas into the work and then I try to find the key that this experience becomes transcendental so that everybody can find himself in, inside that work and become universal, because who cares about your own private life otherwise? (1)

This interview was not only helpful for considering Abramović’s ideas, concerns and aesthetics for my essay, but also informed my performance. The above quote made me realise the value and appropriateness of autobiographical work that is not explicitly ‘my life story from A-Z’. Instead, one can take a personal point and expand and distort it, to make it applicable to an wide audience, as we see Gray do with much of his work.

• Spalding Gray

In his last recorded interview, Gray said “in order to live my life in a free and open way, I have to have a monologue going. That’s my way into the world.”  (2) This idea encouraged me to continue developing a piece based on personal experience and feelings, in order to process those things, whilst aiming to create a wide-reaching piece of social commentary.

• Adrian Howells

This interview was conducted for the British Arts Council, with Howells discussing what his work aims to do and why.

AH: “I kind of feel that what I’m doing is almost like a collective catharsis, a global catharsis, that’s what I’m after, that’s what I’m interested in [chuckles].”

This quote really struck a chord with me as I was feeling like this was the sort of thing that, as a year group, we needed; because everybody’s in the same boat but nobody’s talking to each other and that’s horribly lonely and terrifying. Putting Howells’ idea on a more immediate scale, I could use solo as a platform to highlight and bridge some of the space between us as a collective, and perhaps in doing so ease not only my own anxiety but make clear to anyone in the audience feeling similarly that they were not alone. (3)

(1) Abramović, Marina and Carrie Scott (2014)  In Your Face: Interview: Marina Abramović, Online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRSvNVL0P-4 (accessed 6 February 2015).

(2) Smalec, Theresa (2008) ‘Spalding Gray’s Last Interview: The Edited Transcript’, New England Theatre Journal, 19 (2): pp. 53-69.

(3) Howells, Adrian (2010) An Interview with Adrian Howells, Online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7btf8Tdg_s (accessed April 2015).